Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 21:52:25 -0500
From:      "Mark Hassman" <hassman@uiuc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   slow network

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01C20048.A099E240

Hi!

I was wondering if you know any reasons why my network might be slow =
(abnormally slow).  Let me tell you about it.

I have a FreeBSD server / firewall running.  I have a cable modem that =
runs into the server.  the server does its stuff and passes everything =
along to 2 computers hooked up to my internal network.  When I connect =
my computer to the cable modem directly I get speeds up around 500 - 600 =
k/s but when its through the server speeds are drastically slower around =
150 - 200 tops.

Also, I have samba running, but that seems very slow too.  If I run an =
MP3 off the server it is very choppy, however this seems to be local to =
the server alone.  If I play MP3's or what not off the other computer on =
the network things are faster than ever.  (d/l from the server seems the =
same way)

All this leads me to the conclusion that something is wrong with the =
server.  I don't know what, but let me explain how I have it set up.

The server has 2 D-Link ethernet cards (I've had a good history with =
them...) in it.  1 connected to the cable modem the other to the =
internal network hub.  All ethernet cards on the network are 10/100, but =
the hub is 10baseT (soon to be 10/100 as well).  The server is set up =
for DHCPD from the outside, but I was having issues doing that =
internally so right now the internal IP's and stuff are all static.

That is about all there is to it.  Funny thing is I had the same setup =
(minus samba) running at school a few months ago and speeds were =
fantastic.  Therefore I don't know if its the network cards, the hub, or =
some wacky configuration in the server itself.  This problem existed =
before samba worked so I don't think that is the culprit at all.

If you have any hints or experience with this please let me know.  =
Thanks!

-Mark

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01C20048.A099E240

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was wondering if you know any reasons =
why my=20
network might be slow (abnormally slow).&nbsp; Let me tell you about=20
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a FreeBSD server / firewall =
running.&nbsp; I=20
have a cable modem that runs into the server.&nbsp; the server does its =
stuff=20
and passes everything along to 2 computers hooked up to my internal=20
network.&nbsp; When I connect my computer to the cable modem directly I =
get=20
speeds up around 500 - 600 k/s but when its through the server speeds =
are=20
drastically slower around 150 - 200 tops.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, I have samba running, but that =
seems very=20
slow too.&nbsp; If I run an MP3 off the server it is very choppy, =
however this=20
seems to be local to the server alone.&nbsp; If I play MP3's or what not =
off the=20
other computer on the network things are faster than ever.&nbsp; (d/l =
from the=20
server seems the same way)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All this leads me to the conclusion =
that something=20
is wrong with the server.&nbsp; I don't know what, but let me explain =
how I have=20
it set up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The server has 2 D-Link ethernet cards =
(I've had a=20
good history with them...)&nbsp;in it.&nbsp; 1 connected to the cable =
modem the=20
other to the internal network hub.&nbsp; All ethernet cards on the =
network are=20
10/100, but the hub is 10baseT (soon to be 10/100 as well).&nbsp; The =
server is=20
set up for DHCPD from the outside, but I was having issues doing that =
internally=20
so right now the internal IP's and stuff are all static.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That is about all there is to it.&nbsp; =
Funny thing=20
is I had the same setup (minus samba) running at school a few months ago =
and=20
speeds were fantastic.&nbsp; Therefore I don't know if its the network =
cards,=20
the hub, or some wacky configuration in the server itself.&nbsp; This =
problem=20
existed before samba worked so I don't think that is the culprit at=20
all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If you have any hints or experience =
with this=20
please let me know.&nbsp; Thanks!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Mark</FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01C20048.A099E240--