Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:57:59 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone adding "support" for Athlons.

In the last episode (Oct 22), Stephen Roome said:
> The issues I was trying to raise were really about better
> optimization for Athlons, and later generations of CPU's, as follows

Optimization issues should be brought up on the egcs mailinglists,
since that is the compiler we use.

> 2) Alignment. By default if code is compiled without -m486 we end up
> with different alignment strategies taken by gcc. Should the 386
> strategy still be the default ? (i.e. Should 386 still be considered
> the expected hardware for FreeBSD)

yes.  Edit /etc/make.conf and add -march=i586 if you want to compile
your machine with pentium-specific code.

> 3) Use of SIMD instructions, (MMX and 3DNow!). Are these used by
> anything ?

Don't the MMX instructions stomp on the floating-point regs?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com