Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:13:05 +0100
From:      Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de>
To:        Ross Penner <ross.penner@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: powerd causing crash on Mini-ITX EN1200

Am 26.02.2009 um 18:44 schrieb Ross Penner:

> When I enable powerd, it is only but a matter of time before my
> machine will lock up completely. I've had this problem since I've
> migrated to FreeBSD 7 from 6. FreeBSD 6 never seemed to have any
> problems.

As FreeBSD Stable is a continuous development, you have good chances
to narrow down the culprit by bisecting. The assumption is, one
single SVN commit broke your functionality and you just have to find
out which one.

Get sources from SVN, then switch to the earliest Stable/7 to confirm
your assumption ("it broke with 7"). If it works, check out a few
thousand SVN revisions later, try again. If it doesn't work, switch
to an earlier revision, a late Stable/6. Each step cuts the number of
SVN revisions in question in half, after some 10 or 12 iterations
you're down to a single revision.

Having a single revision pretty much directly points you to what the
problem is. This helps developers very much and with some luck you
can reverse-apply this change to a more recent set of the sources.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/