Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:39:36 +0200
From:      CorrieS@mktv.co.za
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMTP and POP3

Hello.

I am new to UNIX and have chosen to use FreeBSD as a learning platform.
I have installed FreeBSD release 4.4 on a pentium 133MHz with 16Mb ram.
When logged onto the BSD box ,using telnet, I can use sendmail to send a
message to a user that I have created and receive it over the network where
I am working in windows xp.  I have already set up POP3 which I have
downloaded from the internet.  But I cannot send e-mail from my windows xp
computer to say a different user on the BSD box.  It also my be possible
that sendmail is not set up correctly.  It is starting up without popping
up some kind of error, like named or dhcpd will do.

My question to you guru's...
I know that I can always use qmail but if I want to use sendmail, can the
pop3 daemon receive e-mail as well as send?  If so and if it is my sendmail
that is giving me problems, what is the key elements to look for when
configuring sendmail?

Thanx
Corrie Schoonbee
(+27 82 337 9205)