Date:      24 Jun 2001 00:53:17 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Inserting Orinoco Silver wireless card locks machine

Hi all,

I am having a problem with a Lucent Orinoco silver pcmcia card. I am
using a Sony Vaio PCG-Z600HEK. Every time I plug this type of card
(I've tried 2 of them) into my machine, the machine locks solid. I
have to power off and back on. If I have the card in when I boot up,
the machine will not boot.

I have seen the same behaviour with a Dell wireless card.

At boot time, the lines I get in my log about pcic devices are as
follows:

Jun 24 00:31:51 pan /kernel: pcic-pci0: <Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 12.0 on pci0
Jun 24 00:31:51 pan /kernel: pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 on isa0
Jun 24 00:31:51 pan /kernel: pcic0: Polling mode
Jun 24 00:31:51 pan /kernel: pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0

I am not getting any messages when I plug the card in at all, just a
hard lock.

I had heard that these cards were fairly well supported, so I don't
know if it is a clash between my card and the laptop, or what. Any
help resolving this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk