Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2017 20:47:31 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        scratch65535@att.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: manpath change for ports ?

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 12:35 PM, <scratch65535@att.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 00:56:10 +0100, Baptiste Daroussin
> <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I would like to propose a change in the localbase hier for ports
> >
> >I think we should add /usr/local/share/man in the manpath along with at
> first
> >and maybe instead of in long term.
> >
> >The reason is:
> >- /usr/local/share/man seems more consistent to me with base which have:
> >  /usr/share/man
> >- It will remove lots of patches from the ports tree where were we need
> to patch
> >  upstream build system to install in a non usual path.
> >
> >My proposal is to add to the manpath /usr/local/share/man in default
> man(1)
> >command in FreeBSD 12 (MFCed to 11-STABLE)
> >
> >and either provide an errata for 11.0/10.3 or a
> >/usr/local/etc/man.d/something.conf via a port or something like that
> for those
> >two, what do you think?
> >
> >For the same reason I would like to allow porters to stop patching (with
> pathfix
> >or anything else) the path for pkgconfig files and allow
> >/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig along with the current
> >/usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig:/usr/libdata/pkgconfig
> >
> >Which will also remove tons of hacks from the ports tree.
> >
> >What do you think?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Bapt
>
> I would argue that the same principle should be followed with
> *everything*:  if it's at or applies to the application level, it
> should be in /usr/local/, no exceptions.
>
> And if that conflicts with the native product documentation (e.g.
> MySQL, MariaDB), the local mods should be right up at the top of
> the relevant man page, not on some special web site or in some
> special documentation hiding in the weeds somewhere.  Nobody
> should have to chase down necessary information; if the man pages
> are the canonical documentation, then all the facts should be on
> the man page.
>
> And if something is not at the application level, then perhaps
> this is the right time and place to have a conversation about
> whether there should be a separate subtree for the layer between
> the apps and the kernel, too.
>
> The desire for long-term stability, predictability, and freedom
> from bugs is not a joke or a wish for a pony.  It's a basic
> sine-qua-non necessity for production-quality software,
> especially servers.   Would splitting off the middle layer from
> the kernel help or hinder that goal?  The question must be worth
> a conversation, and the sooner the better.

Wait a second! I don't think Bapt or anyone else was suggesting that ports
install in any part of the tree other than /usr/local. Tr-read what he said.

The discussion is whether to move from /usr/local/man to
/usr/local/share/man as well as other directories that normally in
/usr/[share|info||libexe] under Linux systems.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com