Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:00:53 -0600
From:      Marius Schamschula <lists@schamschula.com>
To:        Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing owncloud downgrades mysql57

Jim,

Great catch!

Currently installing=85

Thanks!

<m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
>>=20
I find
>>>=20
>>> That's one of those things: mysql57-client was removed because it
>>> conflicts with mysql56-client, and then mysql57-server was removed
>>> because it depends on mysql57-client.  However, once that happens,
>>> there's nothing that depends on mysql56-server to bring it in: your
>>> owncloud application only depends on mysqlXX-client -- which makes =
sens
>>> if you think about it: your mysql server could be on an entirely
>>> different machine and then you'ld be annoyed if you were forced to
>>> install mysqlXX-server where it wasn't needed.
>>=20
>> Make sense.
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> This is a well known limitation of binary packages under FreeBSD at =
the
>>> moment.  Dependencies on exact versions of packages are baked in, =
which
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
>>>=20
>>> To prefer ports to build and link against mysql57, add this to the
>>> DEFAULT_VERSIONS variable in /etc/make.conf:
>>>=20
>>> DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3D  mysql=3D5.7
>>=20
>> Unfortunately, this didn=92t work for me. After creating (copying =
from share/examples) /etc/make.conf and adding DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3D  =
mysql=3D5.7 to the file, I cded to /usr/ports/www/owncloud and ran
>>=20
>> # make install
>> =3D=3D=3D>  owncloud-8.0.4 cannot install: unknown MySQL version: 57.
>> *** Error code 1
>>=20
>> Stop.
>=20
> You're using an outdated ports collection as the current owncloud =
version is 8.2.2. I'm guessing that's why MySQL 5.7 isn't recognized. =
Try upgrading it with portsnap or svn.
>=20
>=20
>>=20
>> This is strange, as mysql57-* are still installed. I then commented =
out the DEFAULT_VERSIONS line in /etc/make.conf and got the same result.
>>=20
>> Is there a master list of the allowed versions of mysql, etc.? A =
quick search did not come up with anything other than =
https://wiki.freebsd.org/DEFAULT_VERSIONS and Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk =
which has
>>=20
>> MYSQL_DEFAULT?=3D         5.6
>>=20
>> which is exactly what I=92m trying to avoid=85
>>=20
>> I also checked the owncloud Makefile and saw nothing requiring a =
specific version of mysql.
>>=20
>>> (There are many other bits of software you can switch default =
versions
>>> in the same way)
>>>=20
>>> 	Cheers,
>>>=20
>>> 	Matthew
>>=20
>>=20
>> TIA,
>>=20
>> Marius
>> --
>> Marius Schamschula
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
> --=20
> Jim Ohlstein
>=20
>=20
> "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the =
difference." - Mark Twain

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula