Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:48:53 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Sergei Kolobov <sergei@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/47451: 5.0 GENERIC(sysinstall CD) locks during boot onProliant ML530

On Friday 20 August 2004 02:20 am, Sergei Kolobov wrote:
> On 2004-08-18 at 15:33 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 August 2004 12:10 pm, Sergei Kolobov wrote:
> > >  uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0-0x1f at device
> > > 20.2 on pci0 pcib0: unable to route slot 20 INTD
> > >  uhci0: Could not allocate irq
> > >  device_probe_and_attach: uhci0 attach returned 6
> >
> > This might be indicative of the problem.  Can you try the following
> > tweaks to the BIOS setup:
> >
> > 1) Ensure that PnP OS is set to "no"
>
> The closest equivalent I could find for this is "Primary Operating
> System: Other". Remember - this is Compaq hardware, and they have
> nothing even distantly resembling "normal" Award/Phoenix BIOS.
> Instead, you have to use that (EISA) System Configuration Utility
> from the System Partition or SmartStart CD-ROM.

You might try some of the different operating system settings there and see if
they help.  I would try them all to be honest and see if any of them allow
the install CD to boot ok.

> > 3) Enable USB in the BIOS if it is disabled.
>
> There no USB-related option at all. In fact, there are *NO* USB ports
> in this server (it is circa '98-99). Isn't it funny the kernel found
> some USB controller, is it?

Hmm, it's probably in the chipset but the manufacturer might have chosen not
to install any USB ports for some reason.

> Believe it or not, but I was finally able to install 5.2.1 on this
> hardware. After you mentioned that USB might be causing this,
> I have compiled a custom kernel on another 5.x machine (which happened
> to be my laptop running a recent -CURRENT) and put it on the kernel
> floppy, replacing GENERIC in kernel.gz. Voila - it booted without
> a problem, and I was able to use sysinstall on regular console (as
> opposed to serial console I had to use to capture the previous boot
> log).
>
> What I still do not understand - why then it would boot the same GENERIC
> kernel without a problem when the system was already installed?
> What is the difference between the boot process for install CD/floppy
> and the installed system?

The 5.2.1 install floppies don't use GENERIC but a stripped down kernel.  The
install CD should use GENERIC though if you boot off of the CD and don't use
any floppies.