Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:00:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer), Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kvm question

Excerpts from FreeBSD-Current: 24-Jan-99 Re: kvm question by Archie
Cobbs@whistle.com
> Whether libkvm should even exist in a perfect world (it shouldn't)
> is an entirely different question. For now, we're stuck with it
> until somebody changes *everything* to use sysctl instead.

  Just as a question, how much of a performance difference is there
between using libkvm and sysctl?  If I were looking for a way to keep
constant tabs on system performance with the minimal impact (think top,
xsysinfo, sysstat, etc), which would I want to use if any difference
exists at all?

  My suspicion would be that sysctl might actually be faster unless
libkvm mmap's /dev/kmem so then that would elimiate the need for
syscalls.

  libkvm may never fully die to support 3rd party software, but that is
no reason to not upgrade the userland we do have control over so that ps
and top will work under any kernel upgrade.