Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 07:24:50 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Neil Oosten" <neiloosten@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing groups

> Here's my situation: I want have a user who is a member of three
> groups--say they are radio, tv, and newspaper. When the user logs in the
> group is set to radio, but then he has to go edit something for radio.
> How do I change the user's group from newspaper to radio.

The concept of a user's default belongs more to SysV than BSD.

Under BSD, the group of a newly-created file is determined by
the group of the directory it is created in.  To change the
group of newly created files in a directory, use chgrp on the
directory; to change the group of files already created in a
directory, use chgrp on the files (or chgrp -R on the directory
if all the descendants of that directory are intended to be
affected by the command).

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>