Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:54:53 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Rick Updegrove <dislists@updegrove.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current qmail-scanner port with clamav and f-prot fails on 4testvirus.org messages

On Apr 14, 2004, at 10:38 AM, Rick Updegrove wrote:
[ ... ]
>> If your complaint is that neither vendor's most recent definitions
>> fail to catch some known viruses, that's a different problem, which
>> you
>> should discuss with the vendors directly, since that has little to do
>> with FreeBSD ports.
>
> First of all it is the qmail-scanner port itself that is missing
> password protected .zip files because it is a version behind still.
> Maybe you missed the relevant portions of the original post.

Perhaps I did.  I use amavisd and block .zip's entirely, so the
distinction between blocking password-protected viral .zip's and
non-password-protected viral .zip's is not relevant to me.

> Secondly, the most recent vendor's most recent definitions don't
> always work when you are a version or two behind on the scan engine
> itself.

I've seen that with vendors who charge for upgrades, sometimes.
I haven't seen that happen to ClamAV, yet.

> Thirdly, I am not complaining.  I am trying to help all the users of
> these ports by shedding light on the facts.  Of course I (we) have the
> ability to manually install these packages using the current sources
> and if I get many more replies like this I will just do that and
> forget about trying to help make these ports work properly.  If I (we)
> have to do that then why even bother to maintain a FreeBSD port for
> these packages at all if they don't work effectively?

"I'm not complaining.  Whine!"  :-)

It is unlikely that anyone here will attempt to convince you to do
anything at all.  Feel free to compile software yourself if you think
you can do so better.

> So now that we have cleared up a few things, who wants to discuss a
> strategy to maintain an effective FreeBSD virus-scanner port for
> qmail?

If you'd like to help other people, submitting an update for the
qmail-scanner port via a PR might be useful.  Whining about
qmail-scanner leaking viral mail isn't very useful, but I guess you can
keep doing that instead, if you want.

--
-Chuck