Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 14:04:15 -0800
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>, Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

In a way, I wish MS would make up some incompatible non-open
(browser alternative) product and take the MS-loving
clone-people away from the internet entirely.

As long as I'm wishing, maybe they could take Word with them too.

If people stopped trying to duct tape everything imaginable to
browsers, that wouldn't hurt my feelings either. (When
was the internet redefine to mean that everything has
to be crammed into the http protocol?)

When did people get lazy and start thinking that they could
write workable software without having to port it to each
platform they expected it to run on?

I often think this is a much bigger issue than the OS/GNU/CS
debate.

Any good quality open source OS, when supplied with a working
compiler, can take you to the edge of your abilities as a
(new) programmer.(?)

The OS is not going to let you down. And once you've advanced
far enough as a programmer that you start to find deficiencies,
you can go look into the source and see if there is anything
you can do to help.(?)

What can we do to make this even more true? Do other people
even value FreeBSD for this reason?

When Sun took their set-top box language, and tried to force
a paradigm shift, what did they accomplish, if anything?

Is Java the next Navigator?

Are C, C++, and Perl the only languages to worth bothering
with in the long term?

Thanks, [RC]