Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 00:47:06 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Fredrik Olausson <fredrik@speechcraft.com>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, jmallett@xMach.org, dscheidt@tumbolia.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

At 1:36 PM -0700 5/27/01, Jamie Bowden wrote:

>  A friend of mine bought a new iBook at the Apple store in Tysons Corner on
>  Friday.  The free OS X upgrade (and future bundled versions) will not ship
>  with the Developer CD.  The Mac OS X box does ship with the Developer CD.
>  I guess Apple only wants people who upgrade their old Macs to do
>  developement.

	I bought a copy of MacOS X as soon as I could, but I still
haven't taken it out of the plastic wrapper yet.  And I won't -- not
until they have proper support for Lucent/Agere WaveLAN/Orinoco
802.11b PC cards.

	Right now, if you want to do 802.11b on MacOS X, your only choice
is to use Apple AirPort cards.

	For the moment, ignore the fact that they are really just
Lucent/Agere WaveLAN/Orinoco cards that have had their external
antennas chopped off, and Apple supports the Lucent/Agere
WaveLAN/Orinoco cards under MacOS 9 as "AirPort PC Cards", and you no
longer need the drivers available from Lucent/Agere (nor can you use
them, even if you wanted to).

	Myself, now that MacOS X Server is about to be updated, based on
the released version of MacOS X, I wouldn't expect to see the
developer stuff being available for/with MacOS X much longer -- Apple
really does want that stuff to be available to developers only, who
are obviously all fat-cats with unlimited expense accounts, and can
afford to pay the $500 or $1000 for MacOS X Server.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */