Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:11:21 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Larsson <dl@tyfon.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cleaning out old/unused files after make world

Dan Larsson wrote:

> The machine i question has stepwise been updated from 3.2R
> to 4.2S, and I'm guessing some files are nolonger needed by
> the system.
>
> How can I find out which files can be removed?

Start with find(1)'s -mtime option, removing files older than your
last buildworld in appropriate directories.  Where `appropriate
directories' are those completely updated by buildworld (i.e. NOT /etc,
/usr/local, and so on).  Mainly I'd go for /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin
/usr/libexec /usr/share /usr/libdata.  Also, I wouldn't remove old
libraries from /usr/lib since stuff in /usr/local might still be using
them.  And be careful what you delete, of course. :-)

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D