Date:      11 Oct 1998 10:20:50 -0400
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What is a BSP, and why does SMP panic about it?

This may be more properly sent to the SMP list...

I have an Intel DK440LX motherboard with 1 CPU (the second is on
order).

I decided to try making the kernel with SMP turned on, to make sure
everything works before plugging in the second CPU.  One of the SMP
web pages seemed to imply that one could run a SMP kernel on a
uniprocessor box, with some performance degredation.

>From my config file:
	#SMP:
	options                SMP
	options                APIC_IO
	options                NCPU=1
	options                NBUS=3
	options                NAPIC=1
	options                NINTR=24

When I attempted to boot, I got a panic: no BSP found.

Uh, what is a BSP, and where can they be found?

Thanks,

+C
--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;