Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@jaunt.chuckr.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: smp instability

On 25-Oct-00 Chuck Robey wrote:
> I'm having rather extreme problems with stability on my dual PIII
> setup.  I know this is to be expected, but it's gotten so extreme on my
> system, I can't spend more than a few minutes before it locks up.
>
> Is there any chance that I could make things better by using a sysctl to
> tell the box it's now a single-cpu system?  I can't read man pages at the
> moment (I'm composing this on my Sparc Ultra-5) so if this might work, and
> someone knows the exact command to use, I'd appreciate a bit of help.

You can use kernel.old to compile a UP kernel.  I always keep a UP kernel
around just in case.  Also, when did your SMP box become unstable?  There
was a known problem with SMP boxes when the vm page zero'ing during the idle
loop was first turned on that has since been fixed with the latest commit to
vm_machdep.c yesterday.  Symptoms were frequent kernel panic 12's with
interrupts disabled .