Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 14:00:30 +0100
From:      se@FreeBSD.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au (David Dawes)
Cc:        se@FreeBSD.org (Stefan Esser), thyerm@satech.net.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Four problems that really bug me with CURRENT

> >PCI bus probing seems not to be a general problem.
> >Please send more details about your system (chip set,
> >peripherals, ...). The most important information is
> >the VERBOSE boot message log. (Boot with "-v" and send
> >me the output of "dmesg", or cut the messages out of the
> >"/var/log/messages" file ...)
>
> The recent XFree86 release uses PCI code that is very closely based on

There is PCI code in XFree86 ???

> that in 2.2-current from about two months ago, and I know of some
> cases where the PCI bus probe seems to fail.  The common factor is
> that they are PCs made by HP, and at least some are PPro machines.

Well, but how do you think I'm going to fix this,
if I have no idea what actually fails. Send me the
information I asked for (verbose boot messages and
the information about the chip set, CPU and BIOS
you can easily get at), and I'll make it work.

The current code already deals with many chip sets
that fail to conform to the PCI specs., and I've got
to add specific code for each new such chip set :(

Regards, STefan