Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:15:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PMAP_SHPGPERPROC: related to pagedaemon?

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Doug wrote:

> 	Using two -current machines, both dated 7/16 I got the following
> message in my log file, which I think explains the weird spontaneous
> reboots I've been getting.
>
> /kernel: pmap_collect: collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

	In my efforts to track this down today I have been monitoring the
logs like a hawk. When this message started appearing again (now with the
PMAP_SHPGPERPROC set to 300 in the kernel config file) I took a look at
the system and what it was doing. I was very disturbed to find that
according to 'ps' pagedaemon was eating up 67% of the cpu. This is a
dual-PIII 500 machine, and I'm not sure if 'ps' is reporting 67% of one
CPU (my first guess) or 67% of both.

	I captured the output of 'ps -aulx' to a file, here is the bit
about pagedaemon, line wrapped for readability.

USER   PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED   TIME    COMMAND
root    2 66.7  0.0     0    0  ??  RL   10:12AM   5:15.52 (pagedaemon)

UID  PPID CPU PRI NI   WCHAN
0     0   265 -18  0    -

	There were no other unusual symptoms, except that the miva (CGI)
processes that the box is supposed to be processing were backed way up.
Normally they complete very quickly (roughly 3 per second) with little or
no backlog.

	I've increased the PMAP_SHPGPERPROC setting in the kernel config
file to 400 and recompiled just in case the system panics again, however
with it set to 300 as it is now it recovers ok. Once again, any thoughts
or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Doug