Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 1997 11:32:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        fbsdlist@federation.addy.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockup on install

> We have several workstations currently running OS/2 and WinNT that I'd
> like to install FreeBSD onto.
>
> I boot the cdrom and do a visual config, then continue.  I get the
> message like "waiting for scsi devices to settle" and then the system
> gives a message "unexpected busfree" and "LASTPHASE = ".  Then it
> completely locks up.
>
> We run fbsd on all of our webservers, so we're not unfamiliar with
> installation.  The only hardware difference is that these workstations are
> running 180MHz Pentium Pro CPUs on SuperMicro motherboards, with an
> embedded Adaptec AHA2940UW, whereas our servers are 166+ Cyrix CPUs on
> SuperMicro MBs with the 2940UW on a separate card.  As I noted before, we
> are successfully running OS/2, WinNT on these machines, as well as
> DOS/Win3.1.

You should mention what version of FreeBSD you're trying to install.
It is very important when reporting problems.

It sounds like you're trying to install an older version of FreeBSD,
perhaps 2.2.1R?  There were known bugs with the driver for the 2940
(ahc) in that version.  Try installing 2.2.2R.

Other things that could be causing problems are improper termination
or bad cables.  I've had problems installing 2.2.2R on a 2940UW at
work because neither the internal DAT drive (HP C1599) or CD-ROM
(Plextor 12-plex) would properly terminate the SCSI bus.  I tried
many different cables, but only an inline active terminator would
solve the problem.  The wide drive seemed to properly terminate
the wide bus, probably because it was using active termination.

Note that I was getting the same exact error messages you are
describing.  As a work around (until I could get my hands on an
inline active terminator), I enabled Low byte termination in SCSI
Select Utilities.  I know this seems wrong, but it did work.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org