Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:20:45 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        vmiller@hostileadmin.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fault in Terminal Server causing server to hang on boot?

Rick,

> I'm reaching out in hopes that someone may have seen something similar
> and can shed some light.  Consider an HP DL360p G8 with FreeBSD
> 8.3-RELEASE-p4, serial port cabled to a Cisco 2800 series terminal
> server.  Console is configured in the following manner:
>
> /boot/loader.conf: console="comconsole"
> /etc/ttys: ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100  on secure
>
> The system hangs at boot while the terminal server is cabled to the
> serial port.  Output is displayed on the video console to the point
> that loader loads /boot/loader.conf.  The system freezes.  I have no
> visibility into the terminal server configuration or port which the
> hardware is cabled, but as soon as the serial cable is pulled from the
> serial port, the system resumes booting and is remotely accessible
> (via ssh) when it has come up.
>
> Attached to a different terminal server (same model), the system boots
> fine.  Not sure what the fault is on the terminal server.  What
> possible conditions would cause the system to freeze while the serial
> port is attached?  Why would loader care about these conditions?  The
> desired result would be that the system boots completely despite any
> fault with the terminal server.

Obviously the port on both terminal servers are not configured the
same way.

There is a number of configuration that can apply to a serial port:
speed, flow control, readiness, etc.

Can you boot with your server attached to the working terminal server
and then change to the other terminal server? What would it do?

If you were asked to connect to a terminal server and not given the
way to configure it, just refuse to use the one that is not
working. That should be the guy with the password to the terminal
server who should help to reconfigure the port.

Best regards,

olivier