Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:01:24 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>, current@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RC NG, ntp and routed

Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:43:50PM -0800, Mike Makonnen wrote:
>
> >The following patch should solve your problem. However,
> >it's only a partial solution. It fixes the case for ntpd
> >and ntpdate but not for other network daemons like rpcbind, which=20
> still get
> >started _before_ the routing daemons. I haven't included patches for
> >those because sorting out the dependencies is going to be a bit more
> >involved. I'll have it done when I get a chance later this week.
> >(A consequence of this is going to be that we will be moving *away* fr=
om
> > NetBSD in the dependency ordering, but we can sort that out with=20
> them later).
>

> I think keeping our boot scripts the same is kind of a pipe dream. I th=
ink
> we should keep our rc.subr the same, but for individual scripts, I=20
> think we
> should just go our own way.

I disagree. NetBSD uses the same ntpd as us, and, therefore, face the=20
very same problem. They just haven't noticed the problem in practice.

On another note, I thought the patch a bit excessive. Here, I just added =

BEFORE: ntpd to routed. OTOH, it seems that patch did a bit more.

Anyway, as long as routed is run before ntpd on systems where it is=20
active, I'm happy.

Nor do I think we need to get the patch in now, before 5.0-R. The kind=20
of environment where the problem would show up is uncommon, and not=20
likely to be found outside production settings, and 5.0-R is _not_=20
indicated for production settings.

--=20
Daniel C. Sobral
Ger=EAncia de Opera=E7=F5es
Divis=E3o de Comunica=E7=E3o de Dados
Coordena=E7=E3o de Seguran=E7a
TCO
Fones: 55-61-313-7654/Cel: 55-61-9618-0904
E-mail:	Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br
	Daniel.Sobral@tcoip.com.br
	dcs@tcoip.com.br