Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:03:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>
Cc:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux hardware

:Danny Braniss (danny@cs.huji.ac.il) wrote:
:> In message <200010270746.e9R7k5k00392@earth.backplane.com>you write:
:> }    This is really weird.  I have two valinux rackmount boxes, duel cpu's.
:> }
:> }    I was testing the PXE stuff and booting one of the boxes regularly.
:> }    All of a sudden every time I reboot I get:
:> }
:>
:> i've seen the same, i just reboot it, and it works. sometimes, while
:> the kernel is doing it's init stuff it panics. i haven't seen it fail
:> more than once in a row, so i was thinking maybe some network error
:> that was not dealt properly. btw, the boxes are DELL.
:
:He was not seeing a PXE bug, it was a loader issue with the BIOS.
:The PXE bug you are seeing is with anything build 078 or earlier.
:Intel has a bug in their rom which they fixed back in March of this year.
:
:--
:Paul Saab
:Technical Yahoo

    Right.  It isn't PXE.  PXE works fine.

    I'm starting to figure out what is going on.  If I create a
    'dangerously dedicated' parittion, the BIOS drops dead when the
    loader tries to scan it.

    If I create a normal fdisk partition, the BIOS works, but disklabel
    will not let me label the fdisk partition and I have no clue as to why
    not!

    fdisk -I da0		(init a real freebsd-dedicated DOS partition)
    reboot			(reboot just to be sure)
				(BIOS does NOT crash with a real dos partition
					table)
    fdisk da0			(see output below)

	The data for partition 1 is:
	sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
	    start 63, size 143363997 (70001 Meg), flag 80 (active)
		beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
		end: cyl 731/ sector 63/ head 254
	The data for partition 2 is:
	<UNUSED>
	The data for partition 3 is:
	<UNUSED>
	The data for partition 4 is:
	<UNUSED>
	10:/root#

    disklabel -w -r da0s1 auto	(label it)

	10:/root# disklabel -w -r da0s1 auto
	Oct 27 11:00:35 10 /kernel: da0: cannot find label (no disk label)
	Oct 27 11:00:35 10 /kernel: da0s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
	Oct 27 11:00:35 10 /kernel: da0: cannot find label (no disk label)
	Oct 27 11:00:35 10 /kernel: da0s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
	disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
	disklabel: auto: unknown disk type

    I don't understand why it won't let me label the fdisk partition.  If
    only I could label the real partition 'fdisk -I' created, I think the
    system will work.

    The question is, why is disklabel failing above?  It shouldn't be
    failing..it should let me label da0s1.

						-Matt