Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:22:31 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New DPT Driver

Simon Shapiro wrote:

> > Then there is the sticky issue of what stripe size to use. You, in the

> * Most news servers use the Unix file system.  Right?
> * Last I saw, ALL F/S I/O was done in 4Kbytes chunks.

> The only way I can see 32MB stripes being even usable, is in setting them
> up as CCD stripes of this size.  Of course, then you really do all your
> I/O in...  4096 bytes.

I'm in the process of constructing some news servers and I intend to use
ccd.  What figure should I use as the interleave factor.  The man page
suggests that a high figure such as 65,536 should be used for news
servers.  The system has 8 ST5120N (2 gig narrow, 4500 RPM) drives, and
I'm running the busses in Ultra mode (20 Mbps).

regards
damian

--
*    Damian Hamill   M.D.       damian@cablenet.net