Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:43:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
To:        Bill Totman <bill.totman@gmail.com>, "davide.damico@contactlab.com" <davide.damico@contactlab.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-performance@freebsd.org" <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 vs CentOS 6.3

I haven't worked with CentOS since 6.0.=A0 I work on many other variants at=
 this time.=A0 I'm more than happy to take a look after I get my company of=
f the ground....=A0 (A couple more months or land my next contracting gig)=
=0A=0A=0AAnyhow,=A0 unlike with jails, it seems no matter what type of VM I=
 use, there's always 'overhead' in using virtual machine software.=A0 Perfo=
rmance is 99.99% there with a 'real' installation.=A0 Whether it's VMware, =
VirtualBox, or Zen, there's the issues of things that have always seemed to=
 cause a minor 'hurt'.=A0 It's also annoying when I have to dictate how muc=
h memory, how many cores, disk space and everything else with regards to ea=
ch virtual machine.=A0 Running the virtual software takes resources, from t=
he OS, and each VM under control has to be 'given' bounds as to how many re=
sources it can use. (I'm told that an ESX server is better at this, however=
, that server must have a core OS that uses resources as well.)=0A=0A=0ASo,=
 lately, I started working with jails....=A0 for everything.=A0 There seems=
 to be no measurable issues with their use.=A0 Does anyone have any compari=
son on jails versus various VM software?=A0 I'm not just talking the VM sof=
tware running an OS in real-time and no negligible loss of performance.=A0 =
I'm talking about the what's being taken from the core machine running the =
software.=A0 That's overhead.=A0 The software consumes resources (memory, c=
pu cycles, etc) and creates a certain amount of overhead for each VM create=
d.=0A=0A=0AJails seem to be highly maintainable, easy to use, the resource =
management of CPU, memory and other types are handled by the OS and not an =
additional layer of software running on the host that becomes responsible f=
or all this juggling.=A0 So, from my perspective, it seems jails remove a l=
ayer of indirection over VM software.=A0 (Of course, arguably, jails are li=
ghtweight VMs.)=A0 I'm just starting to become knowledgeable and a 'fan' of=
 jails.=0A=0AI'm also a little 'aged' and I never understood the need for V=
M software as UNIX has always been capable of juggling (time slicing) task =
courtesy of the job scheduler and the like.=A0 I can see that a mainframe, =
mini, and Windows OS that were not designed to be capable of time sharing w=
ould need them, but not UNIX.=0A=0AIf I wanted a 'rough' analogy, I can equ=
ate VM software is to jails as UFS is to a ZFS pool.=A0 I think of it this =
way:=A0 with VM software I have to understand the resources I will need and=
 I will create boundaries according to a 'best guess' scenario with jails I=
 create the environment and all the jails get access to all the available r=
esources to the machine and allow a robust UNIX-like (I really hate writing=
 that given FBSD's roots :-) ) to handle something it's always been capable=
 of handling from it's design.=A0 This is akin to having to setup UFS versu=
s ZFS.=A0 UFS you have to have an idea of how big the partitions are and ch=
oose bounds (and it's "not fun" when you have to re-partition), however, wi=
th ZFS every partition grows within the bounds of the pool until it is exha=
usted, at that point, add storage to the pool.=A0 (With a jail, at that poi=
nt, if it's anything but CPU cores, just add resources to the machine - if =
it is CPU, it's time for a new
 CPU or maybe a second machine.)=A0 =0A=0A=0AI hate to say this but I'm fin=
ding jails 'highly superior' to VM software and now that I hear that we can=
 run Linux in a jail, I'd be very curious to do that, too.=A0 =0A=0A=0A<ran=
t>=0A=0AOne last thing, I see VMs almost as a 'development tool' that peopl=
e just recklessly took to the next level.=A0 It's a lot of fun to create VM=
s on a desktop machine that you are doing development on to see what change=
s occur before putting software into production, but, like most things of t=
he last 25 years (high capacity disk drives, plummeting memory prices, and =
the ongoing speed increases of CPUs), people have become lazy in doing thin=
gs the right way.=A0 When things were tight, people thought at the 'assembl=
er' level to program lean, mean and fast, C was a boon as it's kind of a le=
vel 2.5 Von Neuman language, you can access low-level but it's structured l=
ike a level 3 language.=A0 Now, people don't really think of machine resour=
ces.=A0 They just hack together things and hope the compiler catches their =
mistakes.=A0=A0=A0 *shrug*=0A</rant>=0A=0AP.=0A=0A=0APS - (I'd post my cred=
entials, but, basically, I'm a Systems Architect that has a past with emplo=
yment or consulting with many major corporations.=A0 My job is creating sys=
tems of systems that are highly scalable and modular and can be nimble in m=
oving from one tech to another.=A0 I've been exposed to almost every *NIX t=
ype of OS, Windows and other OS variants....=A0 I'm still impressed with FB=
SD as I'm a CS and I have watched it always try to be cutting edge and alwa=
ys implement the correct technologies and refuses to compromise by releasin=
g a<Version>.0 that 'kinda works'That's how I've lived my career.=A0 Kudos =
to all the people working on it!)=0A=0APPS - I have to make my living using=
 all variants of *nix including Debian, CentOS, RH, SuSe, etc.=A0 Also, Ibe=
lieve I was the first one to create a SAN in 1993 while at EMC.=A0 I've wor=
ked with many Linux variants.=A0 However, when I look at who is really usin=
g BSD.... Cisco, Juniper, NetApp, and many major manufacturers base their *=
NIX products on it and kind of give away Linux for free but they are really=
 happy to get consulting hours at $200-$400/hr to work it....=A0 So, I'm no=
t a 'fan boy' , I'm somebody who respects the mindset of the 'best tech to =
solve the problem'.=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Bi=
ll Totman <bill.totman@gmail.com>=0ATo: davide.damico@contactlab.com =0ACc:=
 freebsd-performance@freebsd.org =0ASent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:11 AM=
=0ASubject: Re: FreeBSD 9.1 vs CentOS 6.3=0A =0AOn 3/23/13 3:44 AM, Davide =
D'Amico wrote:=0A> Il 23.03.2013 01:34 Paul Pathiakis ha scritto:=0A>> Hi,=
=0A>> =0A>> There are several things about this that are highly suspect.=0A=
>> =0A>> First, wipe out the hardware RAID. The processor doing RAID=0A>> c=
omputation is, probably, MUCH slower than a core on the CPU. Even if=0A>> i=
t's RAID-1 (Simple Mirror) this RAID card is performing tasks that is=0A>> =
does not need to do including replicating writes to two targets from=0A>> t=
he controller or checking it's cache, battery, etc. If it's possible=0A>> t=
o disable the onboard cache, do it.=0A> =0A> Hi Paul,=0A> thanks for your s=
uggestions (some of them I've applied before starting any consideration, li=
ke disabling all on-disk caches or controller buffers) I'll try next monday=
.=0A> =0A> Anyway, the fact is that using the same hardware configuration (=
raid1+raid10) I saw that a centos 6.x outperformed freebsd 9.1.=0A> Another=
 test I made yesterday was: on the same hardware I installed vmware esx 5.x=
 and created a vm with centos inside it. The result was really impressive: =
the centos vm outperformed the 'real' freebsd 9.1 too and checking vmware p=
erformances graphs I didn't see any huge need for a massive throughput (I s=
aw values from KBps to 10MBps), instead I saw a big use of CPU (using OLTP =
tests with a concurrency of 32 threads it's performaces began to slow down)=
.=0A> =0ASo, what happened when you installed FreeBSD 9.1 in the VM? How di=
d the 'fake' FreeBSD 9.1 compare 1) to the 'real', and 2) to either of the =
CentOS installations?=0A=0A-bt=0A> I don't know is using some magic value f=
or HZ or setting some trick with scheduler, I could gain something: I hope =
so, because I don't want to "pinguinate" my farm :)=0A> =0A> Thanks,=0A> d.=
fo/freebsd-performance=0A> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-perfor=
mance-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"=0A=0A_______________________________________=
bsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-performance=0ATo unsubscribe, send any mai=
l to "freebsd-performance-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"