Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 04:56:24 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, "Andrey P. Babiy" <dea@mail.iac911.dp.ua>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation problem

At 09:37 AM 9/7/99 -0000, Doug Young wrote:
>Make it easier for yourself ..... get a CD and do a regular installation
>like most everyone else does
>
>I've been that route before trying to do other types of installation and
>never
>failed to get problems .... but the CD thing just works like its supposed to

You shouldn't _need_ the CD's, though.  I installed every version of
FreeBSD from 2.2.2 to 3.2 via DOS partition, and it worked fine every
single time.  I don't know what could be wrong in this case, but I do know
that DOS partition installation usually works.  I did get the 3.2 CD's a
while ago, though, and they are nice.  If you don't mind spending the money
(it isn't much), they'd probably be worth it (_especially_ for newbies -
they and _The_Complete_FreeBSD_ probably would have made my early
newbiehood _much_ easier).

>> I have tried to install it from floppies and DOS partition. The results
>> were the same. I successfully configured hardware, defined the partitions
>> information, defined the installation type (from floppies or from DOS
>> partition), defined "smallest possible configuraton" (or "user
>> configuration" and then "bin" distribution). The process of installation
>is
>> started, but just started: it is not continued. The message "1024 bytes
>> read ... chunk 1 of 106 ..." is the last one I see. It is not changed.
>> After that computer does not react on keyboard at all.
>> Sometimes computer is stopped later (60-70% of installation). But when I
>> am trying to install from DOS partition, it is only as above mentioned.

-Charon