Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:21:31 +0200 (EET)
From:      gson@araneus.fi (Andreas Gustafsson)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Building boot floppies

I'd like to build a customized FreeBSD boot floppy, but I keep running
into problems.  Here is what I've tried so far:

1. My first thought was to try the 3.0-RELEASE fixit floppy to see
whether I could modify it to suit my purposes.  This failed due to the
bug already reported in PR #9051.

2. I found a procedure for building an emergency boot floppy in the
"backup" section of the FreeBSD handbook
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook139.html>.  This didn't work
either, because I could not get all the files to fit on the floppy
even though I built a stripped-down kernel with only the most
essential device drivers.  I thought the kernels on boot floppies were
generally compressed, but these instructions don't seem to mention
compression at all - why?

3. After upgrading to 3.0-STABLE, I tried building a PicoBSD "net"
floppy.  This failed, too:

   strip crunch1
   Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/sup/src/release/picobsd/net/crunch1
   ln: /mnt/stand/reboot: File exists
   -> ERROR while building ../net/crunch1...
   -> Aborting ./populate
   #

Is there any working, documented way of building a FreeBSD boot floppy
without doing a full "make release"?
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@araneus.fi