Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:14:15 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
To:        blaz@gold.amis.net (Blaz Zupan)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Callback

> Is my assumption correct, does i4b callback only work with setups where
> the remote end returns a busy on the dialin?

Yes - otherwise you'll pay for the connection, at least here in Germany.

Most routers support two kind of callbacks - the one that i4b supports
means: the called system rejects (so no charge for this connection), waits
a configurable time and the calls back. Information on who has called and
who is to be called back relies on the ISDN calling party number information
and stuff statically configured in the routers (or isnd's) configuration.

The other type of callback (not supported by i4b right now) means: the
called system accepts the connection and starts ppp negotiation. During this
the ppp's aggree to do a callback. Information on who called in and who is
going to be called back is subject to the authentication/negotiation already
done by the two ppp's. Then ppp closes down, the connection is disconnected
and the called system calls back.

I've never seen someone actually use the second type due to its obvious
disadvantages. It may be usefull if you travel, call in from an unknown
number and want to be called back at that number.

Martin