Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:37:05 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        Unga <unga888@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE always hang

--==_Exmh_1196354225_19195P

> From: Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
> Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:42:35 +0000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 03:28 -0800, Unga wrote:
> > --- Michael Proto <mike@jellydonut.org> wrote:

> > > than
> > > serious
> > > web.

> > > hold
> > > the

> > > I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I'm running
> > > several 6.2-RELEASE-p8
> > > boxes (servers and laptop workstations) for several
> > > months now without a
> > > single lock-up. I'd first look into hardware,
> > > testing memory, testing
> > > the power supply, and checking CPU/chipset
> > > temperatures as they have
> > > often contributed to problems similar to what you
> > > are describing. 6.2
> > > has been working extremely well for me with no
> > > stability issues that
> > > weren't related to hardware problems.
> > >

> > Thanks for all the replies.
> >
> > It may be a hardware issue. This is a more than four
> > year old computer. Btw, I forgot to mention this is
> > not a server, its running KDE, trying to use as a
> > desktop.
> >
> > Any one of the hangs do not develop any core dump or
> > /var/crash/kernel.0 or /var/crash/vmcore.0. Just the
> > cursor disappear and keyboard does not respond. Only
> > switch off and on can bring the machine up.
> >
> > Are there any hardware analyzing software that I can
> > run on FreeBSD, so that I could narrow down the cause?
> >
> > Unga
> >

> Can you verify that the machine is actually dead? Do you have another
> machine that you can hook up either to a serial console, or ssh into the
> dead box? Weird X symptoms could lead to an unresponsive keyboard, with
> the machine running just fine underneath X.

Just to re-enforce this, I have a colleague who is seeing this on his
Radeon-based Lenovo T43 (m300). The display blanks and cannot be
resurrected, even CTRL-ALT-BS does not help, but the system is alive.

Oddly, I also have a Lenovo T43 based system and it has never shown this
problem. It might be something in your xorg setup that is triggering it.

If your system is a Radeon, you might try booting with no xorg.conf
file. I have found that worked well for my system. Other possibilities
include hw.acpi.reset_video=1 (sysctl.conf) and acpi_video_load="YES"
(loader.conf).

I would like to figure out why my system has no issues while others
go off to never-never land.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)