Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:33:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        mlfbsd@ci0.Org
Cc:        zaitsevbros@mail.ru, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: At91rm9200 how to start with FreeBSD

In message: <20061129213628.GA35446@ci0.org>
            Olivier Houchard <mlfbsd@ci0.Org> writes:
: Hi,
:
: On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 01:07:16PM -0800, Zuy wrote:
: >
: > I found bootstrap tools and kernel config files in FreeBSD6.2.
: > So I decided to try to compile kernel for At91RM9200 the same way as I do
: > for I386 configuration.
: > As far as I do not have all source files installed I have to use traditional
: > way for building kernel.
: >
: > zuy_bsd#  cd /usr/src/sys/arm/conf
: > zuy_bsd# /usr/sbin/config KB920X
: > Kernel build directory is ../compile/KB920X
: > Don't forget to do ``make cleandepend; make depend''
: > zuy_bsd# cd ../compile/KB920X
: > zuy-bsd# make cleandepend
: > rm -f .depend
: > zuy-bsd# make depend
: > cc -c -O -pipe -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs ....... # I cut
: > option to make my post shorter
: > `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
: > ../../../i386/i386/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (arm9) for -mtune= switch
: > *** Error code 1
: >
: > Stop in /usr/src/sys/arm/compile/KB920X.
: >
: > I think this error means that by default GCC in FreeBSD6.2 does not support
: > compilation for ARM architecture.
: > I have two ideas how to enable this support.
: > 1. Download lates version of GCC and compile it with cross compiler for ARM.
: > 2. Install /usr/ports/devel/arm-elf-gcc295
: > I found that a lot of people do not advice to change standart compiler with
: > new one. It can cause problems with future kernel building. That is why I'm
: > not sure that the first way is correct.
: > The second way installs ARM support but for old version of compiler. That I
: > think is not good as well.
: >
:
: You can build an arm cross-compiler from the system sources as described here :
: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~cognet/freebsd_arm.txt
: Using the new official way to build the kernel, with make buildkernel,
: should work for cross-compiling too :
: I think you first need to do
: make TARGET_ARCH=arm kernel-toolchain
: and then you should be able to do make TARGET_ARCH=arm KERNCONF=YOURFILE
: buildkernel
: But I do not use this method, so I can't swear it's the exact things to do.

I've used this method quite recently on -current.  I usually add
TARGET=arm as well, but that's because there's a difference between
current and stable in this area and adding both doesn't hurt and
always works...

Warner