Date:      20 Mar 2000 09:14:19 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        noslenj@swbell.net (Jay Nelson), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> writes:
> The point is that, if a driver already exists in BSDI, and FreeBSD
> becomes the public shadow of the BSDI source tree, there is very
> little incentive to write a new driver among volunteers, because
> the job has already been done, and there are interesting things to
> write that haven't yet been done.

Why would FreeBSD become the public shadow of the BSDI source tree?
From what I've read about the merger, the reverse (BSDI becoming the
commercial shadow of FreeBSD) is more likely.

Let me spell it out for you: BSDI WILL NOT CONTROL FREEBSD.

Nobody can take arbitrary control of FreeBSD. It's open source. Even
if Jordan, David & co. were to "sell out" to BSDI today, they couldn't
stop committers from finding another place to host the project and
carry on with its development. The worst they can do is stop us from
using the name.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no