Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 00:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   CODE FREEZE is going to happen

Okay, folks, Jordan has asked me to be source code Czar for the next
week or so as we are getting very close to the 2.0.5 code cut, we would
like to coast down to a bug fix only mode for this time period.

Effective Sunday May 13, 1995 12:01AM PDT we are in release code freeze.

Now, as to what this means:

1)  Kernel changes should be restricted to bug fixes only, all requests
    for new features will be denied.  No exceptions this time, both
    Jordan and I have been bitten too many times by trying to squeeze in
    a new piece of code.

2)  All kernel bug fixes are to be reviewed by David Greenman *before*
    they are committed.  Any patches that David himself originates will
    need to be reviewed by someone else before he commits them, this
    is a sanity check on all changes to the kernel.

3)  Changes to code outside the kernel should be restricted to bug fixes
    as well.  Any changes to key system components such as those in
    /usr/src/Makefile targets lib-tools, libraries, and tools will
    require review by Jordan, David and myself.  You all know what key
    parts of the system are, we have been down this road in the past.
    This may seem pretty strict, but it is to make darn sure we have
    complete sanity checks at this point in time for all changes to
    key system components.

4)  There should be *no* code imports, or functionality added to any place
    in the source tree.  Also just because you have some time before this
    goes into effect does not mean you should try to cram things in the
    tree now just so you can bug fix it after May 13th.  Anyone doing this
    will be slammed around for doing it.

5)  I suggest that Satoshi start locking down the ports tree at this time
    as well, time to start getting that massive collection built and tested!

6)  Documentation such as man pages and FAQ's are still open, we can
    upgrade documentation without effecting the binaries so these can
    be changed up to the point that the final cvs co for building the
    release is made.

7)  Breaking these rules is grounds to have your cvs access turned off
    until after the 2.0.5 release is out the door.  NO EXCEPTIONS WILL
    BE MADE!!!