Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:03:30 -0700
From:      "Jim Whitelaw" <jim@pdsys.com>
To:        "Steve Feldman" <feldman@twincreeks.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: error in make buildworld

Yeah, I thought of that but in this case it's suspicious that it
happens at the exact same spot in the compile and is preceded by
a number of other errors that seem somewhat fatal as well. That
is, the errors occur first, then the signal 11. In the past when
I've seen a signal 11, everything appears normal until that
error at some random point in the compile. In fact the FAQ you
refer to below would lead one to believe it's a bug in this
particular case:

"For example, suppose you're running "make buildworld", and the
compile fails while trying to compile ls.c in to ls.o. If you
next run "make buildworld" again, and the compile fails in the
same place then this is a broken build -- try updating your
sources and try again. If the compile fails elsewhere then this
is almost certainly hardware."

But I can give it different RAM a try anyway, I suppose it can't
hurt. I've already tried updating the sources as suggested
above.

Thanks.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:39:06 -0800, Steve Feldman wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:57:32AM -0700, Jim Whitelaw wrote:
>> 'make buildworld' fails at the same point every try with this
>> error:
>>
>> cc: {standard input}: cpp: Internal compiler error: program cc1
>> got fatal signal
>>  11Assembler messages:
>
>Check for bad RAM.
>Seriously.
>I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago
>and replacing a bad SIMM cured it.
>
>Buildworld exercises your RAM better better
>than most diagnostics, and signal 11
>is often a sign of memory corruption.
>
>See http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/troubleshoot.html#SIGNAL11
>and http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/
>
>	Steve

Jim Whitelaw                                         tel: +1.780.975.1534
jim-at-pdsys-dot-com                                 fax: +1.780.484.9239
Pathways Data Systems Inc.                           http://www.pdsys.com