Date:      Sat, 1 May 2021 19:23:11 -0400
From:      Ryan Steinmetz <zi@freebsd.org>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
Cc:        patrick.prugger@uname.at, freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org, dnsadm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNSSEC Errors on geo.freebsd.org

On (05/02/21 01:05), Rainer Duffner wrote:

>> Am 01.05.2021 um 23:08 schrieb patrick.prugger--- via freebsd-pkg <freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org>:
>>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I just turned on DNSSEC validation on my DNS and it came to my eye that pkg
>> now doesn't work anymore.
>> Pkg is trying to access http://pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org/ to download de
>> repository catalogue.
>>
>> Unfortunately it seems freebsd.org is signed with DNSSEC, but
>> geo.freebsd.org isn't which leads to a DNSSEC error, broken chain of trust.
>> For a diagram look here:
>> https://dnsviz.net/d/pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org/dnssec/

There's no error here and this host does indeed work fine with a
validating recursive resolver.

geo.freebsd.org is delegated to a separate set of nameservers which
handle geo-based replies.  DNSSEC is intentionally not present on the
zone as the software that responds with dynamic replies and does not
currently support signing those.

You should investigate your setup a bit more.

-r

--
Ryan Steinmetz
PGP: 9079 51A3 34EF 0CD4 F228  EDC6 1EF8 BA6B D028 46D7