Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 09:03:01 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

On Friday, 18 May 2001 at 23:06:33 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On  Friday, May 18, 2001 10:45 AM, David Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>
>>> Basically, what has happened is that Bruce and his friends
>>> (the signatories on the list of that article are a who's
>>> who of them) have literally made millions of dollars out of
>>> in effect convincing a bunch of developers to GPL their
>>> code, then those Open Source people have set themselves up
>>> in the only point in the GPL code distributon scheme (the
>>> nexus points) where it's possible to make a lot of money.
>>
>> Many of those signatories most assuredly are *not* GPL fanatics. Tim
>> O'Reilly surely isn't.
>
> Um, I happen to know that Tim O'Reilly has been approached with SEVERAL
> FreeBSD book projects, including my own, and has turned them all
> down.

Well, it's not Tim O'Reilly any more, it's his editors.

A bit of background: Some years ago O'Reilly printed the complete
4.4BSD Lite documentation in five volumes.  It was a complete flop.
As a result, they've been very wary about bringing out another book on
BSD.

> Well, mine is successful (at least, I'm told it is although I have yet
> to see sales figures) and how smart is it for a book publisher to turn
> down a successful book project and let a competitor take it?  That was a
> political decision, not a professional one.
>
> Ask Greg if he's had any luck shopping HIS book to O'Reilly.

Why don't you?  No, they didn't want "The Complete FreeBSD".  Instead
I'm writing a book for them with the tentative title "Advanced BSD
System Administration".

> Not that I have any evidence that he ever has done so, but I'd be
> surprised if he hasn't.  I wouldn't think that Wind River is going
> to want to be in the book publishing business, and it's a natural
> and obvious move for The Complete FreeBSD to go to O'Reilly.
> Certainly it would enhance the book, it would enhance O'Reilly, and
> it would help BSD penetration.

Wind River has stated that they do want to be in the publishing
business, though I agree that's a bit surprising.

> [snipped; nothing here that we haven't already discussed]

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.