Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:13:37 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rename hardlinks "works" on FreeBSD, but no-op on others

Bruce Evans wrote:
> NFSv4 is fairly convincing.  I'll clean up my patch and commit something
> later this week.

No, it's not.

The *single* most important comment I made on 4 occasions was ignored.

	Section 2.2:
	An adjunct time maintenance protocol is recommended to
	reduce client and server time skew.

	8.12.  Clocks and Calculating Lease Expiration
	To avoid the need for synchronized clocks, lease times are
	granted by the server as a time delta.  However, there is
	a requirement that the client and server clocks do not
	drift excessively over the duration of the lock.

Jackasses.  All they had to do was include the localtime on any
request whose response could include a timestamp, and then send
deltas instead of absolutes over the wire in all responses:

	LET	local time since epoch
	RET	remote time since epoch
	LFT	local file time
	RFT	remote filetime

	delta = LET - RET + LFT
	RFT = RET + delta

And then all of the time synchronization requirements between
nodes totally disappear.

The assinine synchronization requirement was *the biggest issue*
for NFSv2, remained *the biggest issue* for NFSv3, and they happily
carried the albatross on their necks into the future with them, so
they didn't have to disturb their "NFSv4 implementations" that they
made before the standard was even a gleam in most people's eyes.

And don't even get me started on character set normalization...

Grrrr.  8-(.

-- Terry