Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:01:09 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Handbook: 16.7 Creating and Using Optical Media (DVDs)

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 08:45:05AM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Monday 04 April 2005 01:29, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 08:22:20AM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > > If you need to pass "special" option to mount a data DVD/CD, it
> > > means the filesystem on the media has some "issues" or is not
> > > really "compliant".  This should be marginal.
> > > If we need to document it, we just have to update a bit the
> > > mount_cd9660 manual page to say that issue is media independant
> > > and -s 0 may be required by some "weird" data CD/DVD/whatever
> > > that refuse to be mounted.
> >
> > I wonder if it's not a multisession issue... but I have no
> > multisession data DVD under hand to test.
> > What gives dvd+rw-mediainfo command on these DVDs?
> >
> > Marc
>
> So perhaps add the following to man mount_cd9660:
>
> EXAMPLES
>
>      The following command can be used to mount a Kodak Photo-CD:
>
>       mount_cd9660 -o rw -v -s 0 /dev/cd0c /cdrom
>
>       The follwoing command can be used to mount a data DVD:
>
>       mount_cd9660 -s 0 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

[...]

As I said, "-s 0" is not required to mount a data DVD, actually only in
same weird cases as for data CD; you can even mount a Video DVD just
with the vanilla mount command line.  So adding the suggested line, in
that way, is not a good solution.

Could you please look if your data DVD is correctly closed or written in
multisession strategy?

Marc