Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:39:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need definitive answer on de 21140-AC driver

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Joe Greco wrote:

> When I talked to Matt Thomas, several months ago, he provided me a prototype
> driver that compiled under 2.1.6R.  I beat the snot out of it and have since
> been using it in production, mostly with the SMC dual port 10/100's, but
> also a few other -AC cards like the Kingston.  There are a few bugs in the
> driver, none of which affect the usability of the cards.
>
> > Is there a new driver in the works?  If not, I'll gladly donate this card
> > for a while if it's a matter of just getting the card to the right person.
>
> Offered to do that too  :-)  Matt seems to have what needs doing nailed
> down pretty well.  I've hinted to him several times I'd like a 2.2* driver
> but so far I haven't seen one.

Well, shall I bother him again?

> That's too bad because the de driver is a really cool thing to have, and
> if we only support old 100mbps cards that are no longer made, well, yuck.

It's not that I need 100mbps (we _JUST_ installed this 10mb network not
two years ago), but I'd like the Kingston to work so I can return this
crummy 3c900.  3k for input buffers, what were they thinking?!?

Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
vx0   1500  <Link>      00.a0.24.ba.13.f8   258480 244083     6868    0
vx0   1500  128.223.170/2 gdi               258480 244083     6868    0

(hm, the errors caught up, it doesn't seem to affect multicast.)

> I suspect it's mainly a matter of getting Matt to release a version of his
> code.

According to the current if_de.c, his email is matt@3am-software.com -- I
shall fire off  an inquisitive email following this.