Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2006 11:23:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        Greg Black <freebsd@mail.gbch.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.x from i386 to amd64

Peter Jeremy writes:
| It would be nice to see the 32-bit emulation improved so that it is
| possible to build/run the i386 versions of ports on an amd64 system.
| This would be the best of both worlds.  If I had any free time, I
| would even work on this myself.

I have this working well enough for everything that we build here.
Our new build machines are running the amd64 kernels but we build for
i386.

After 6.2 is out I'll merge my uname/getosreldate changes to -stable
and create a stub script to set the environment variables.  We
do some hacks to copy in the hosts ps, top, mount type things into
a compat directory so it runs the hosts versions.

It seems a few people are interested in this and it seems to be
working well for us & myself.

Maybe Kris can then convert his ports clusters over to amd64 OS'es
to build everything.

Doug A.