Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:23:47 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Still confused on what I assume to be a simple problem...

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:31:10AM +0100, Andrew Gordon wrote:

> The issue here is that you have decided to use PicoBSD rather than a
> normal system.  Putting a normal system on CD is fairly straightforward,
> and is almost certainly what you want to do unless you have peculiar
> requirements that you haven't stated.

I don't think you understand. From other posts (that may or may not have made
it to the list), I've stated that this is a completely custom piece of
software. This is not a BSD box for the use of BSD - it's a box that runs
in-house software to do one particular job, and it happens to have been
written for BSD. All I want is a kernel, some libraries, a few applications,
some rc scripts and the ability to dial up with a modem. The machine will go
onto a customer's site in the middle of god knows where. I don't want anything
on it that does not have to be there. This CD is not for use - it's for
automated installation. A very, very, very specific installation designed for
people who have never seen a command line in their lives. They *certainly*
don't want to know about disk partitions, disklabel, etc. as that defeats the
object of this exercise.

In other words, I want PicoBSD. A modified install image. But the libraries
and apps are a bit chunky, can't be shrunk and therefore I need to burn it up
to CD. The customer takes the CD, puts it in his machine, 10 minutes later
they fill in some details they are prompted for (custom stuff I'm doing), and
that's it. They have a working system, on the hard disk, fully installed, and
they never have to think about it again.

I have to say, I am mildly suprised that I've had a lot of feedback from this
list both on an off list that basically goes on about how I must be a moron,
and that I should be using standard FreeBSD installs. It's not helpful, and
I'd appreciate that unless you know the answer to what I want to do (build an
ISO of a custom picobsd image) that you don't use me as a channel to tell the
world how rubbish you think PicoBSD is. If that is how you feel, perhaps
you're on the wrong mailing list. :-)

--
Paul Robinson - Technical Director .----------------------------------------
   PO Box 604, Manchester, M60 3PR | A computer lets you make more mistakes