Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:01:37 -0700
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu>
Cc:        Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2-RC2 Install Feedback

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 08:55 -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> > Also, I banged my head against problems installing emacs
> > (aborted with error -1), until I finally realized that
> > xemacs-21.4 was already installed.  I think there was some
> > form of conflict (?) that prevented two versions from
> > being installed.  Seemed odd to me in any event, and not
> > very evident why the (package) install was being rejected.
>
> This basic issue (package conflicts) has been becoming more and more of
> a problem.  It's not likely we can do anything about it this time around
> but we'll think a bit more about what to include on the media going
> forwards.  I also found Gnome2 and KDE4 are mutually exclusive due to
> package conflicts, you need to select one or the other.
>
> Just so you know - if there are issues with installing things and errors
> pop up you can often quickly find what the cause of the error was by
> pressing Alt-F2.  You can get back to the primary screen with Alt-F1.
>
> --
>                                                Ken Smith
> - From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu
>  there, funny things are everywhere.   |
>                      - Theodore Geisel |

In the www.freebsd.org Ports pages ,  within the descriptions about ports ,
there is no any information about conflicting packages .
In these descriptions , when there is ( are ) conflicted package(s)
specifying it with a tag such as
Conflicts with : ...
would be useful .
During installations , or package adds such conflicting packages may be
avoided .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk