Date:      Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:49:23 -0700
From:      garys@opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        egf@RiskProof.hn.org
Cc:        egf@oxymoron.egf-net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install from CD-R fails

egf@RiskProof.hn.org writes:

> and then press <CR> it just repeats the dialog, and refuses
> to find the installation images on the very same CD that
> it just booted from in the first place?!   And, there is

The method of accessing the CD's boot code is very different than the
method of accessing the CD's normal filesystem so yours is (or at
least used to be) a common problem (I saw often with old Linux).

> This system has all SCSI peripherals: the controller is a
> Tekram PCI board model DC-390F with Symbios 53C875 chip,
> 3 HDDs and the Plextor CD-R.

I'd be very suprised if that 53C875 chip is NOT supported by the
5.3's CD's kernel with either the "ncr" or "sym" driver.  So I have no
easy (or other) solution to your problem.  Like someone else said,
you can access the boot log in another virtual terminal (try each
Alt-F#, where # is 1 to 12) and see if it detects your CD drive.

You're probably aware that if you're Internet connected, you could
have sysinstall install using FTP instead of from the CD.

I would probably be pessimistic and guess that I wasn't going to be
able to install from that CD or drive and look for some other method,
like a 5.4 version, or a temporary ATAPI CDROM or FTP from another
system which can mount the CD.