Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:58:18 -0400
From:      Dennis Cheung <prophetx2@home.com>
To:        "R. Lahaye" <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cups listing of printers very short. Why?

On Monday 16 July 2001 04:38, R. Lahaye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FreeBSD ships cups version 1.1.6 (no ports of higher version available).
> Am I right that cups is the best tool for configuring (remote) printers?
>
> I use cupsd in my browser "http://localhost:631/admin" to add printers and
> I think the pull-down options are too limited:
>
> - the Device section has no smb-windows protocol in the list.
>
> - the 'Make' listing is very short, only "EPSON, HP, OKIDATA".
>
> - the 'Model' listing is also extremely short, only "HP Deskjet series, HP
> Laserjet series" for HP.
>

> On another Linux box I use cups 1.1.7, which has many more choices.
>
> Do I not need these choices under FreeBSD?
> Or is there a way to add more choices to my cups installation?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.

First off you probally did not update the ports tree, read up on cvsup(I have
1.1.6.2 in my ports tree).  The reason why you don't have the smb-windows
protocol is because you probally didn't install samba.  On most linux distros
they install it for you.  Samba is located at /usr/ports/net/samba.

Hope I cleared up a few questions for you.

-Dennis