Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:22:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sup-ing stable

> Rodney Grimes writes:
>
> >I think there is enough confusion out there that the strings should be
> >changed to this:
> >TYPE="FreeBSD"
> >REVISION="2.1.5"
> >BRANCH="STABLE"
>
> Well, that is your opinion. My opinion is slightly different.
> Here is my interpretation of the way things should be...
>

> "Stable", and for that matter "current", do not really designate
> development branches. I feel that they are simply aliases that reflect the
> state of development.  Using both "2.1.5" and "STABLE" is redundant.

Erhh.. try again ``Stable'' has a direct corresponding CVS tag, that
tag happens to be a branch tag (cvs tag -b) and as of almost a year
ago has the value ``RELENG_2_1_0''.

``Current'' has a direct correspoding CVS tag, all be it invisible,
known as ``HEAD''.

``2.1.5'' is a POINT on a BRANCH, it has a corresponding tag value of
``RELENG_2_1_5''.

You can _NOT_ sup ``2.1.5-RELEASE'' except for the window of dates I
pointed out in the message about the commits to newvers.sh.

> I think that "2.1" is the proper name of the branch.

Not really, that is a version on a branch (namely the cvs tag
``RELENG_2_1_0_RELEASE'', which has been superceded by ``RELENG_2_1_5_RELEASE).
NEITHER of which are ``BRANCHES'' per se.

> We are awaiting the CD for revision "RELEASE-5"
> Those who have gotten today's update are at revision "CTM-154"
>
> However, to help avoid confusion among the uninitiated, perhaps we should
> call today's version "FreeBSD 2.1.5-154","FreeBSD 2.1.5p154", or something
> similar.

Been discussed, find an ``elegant'' way to do it and it might be done...