Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 09:21:12 -0800
From:      "Gayn Winters" <gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com>
To:        "'O. Hartmann'" <ohartman@uni-mainz.de>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: High performance computing on FreeBSD

FreeBSD users
> told me they use the port's gcc 4.X very successful. But I
> feel better when the new GNU compiler collection will be the standard
for
> FreeBSD. This may sound weird for some of yours, but I like the ease
> of upgrading software in FreeBSD which has reached a very, very high
standard over
> the past 10 years (and it isn't comparable to jarsh  weirdness I
> experienced with Linux, Solaris or Windows). So, utilizing standard
> ports and the base compiler collection gives a very stable and high
> quality platform - in my opinion.
>
> All right, this above mentioned fundamentals should be the
> basis for a small cluster system for numerical research.
> I still looking for benchmark tests, pro and contra regarding
> BSD/Linux (except the existence of better compiler software for Linux)
and the
> state of development of high performance node interconnect and
> designated driver software.
>
> Target hardware will be a four or six node Opteron/Athlon64 platform
> with dual socket/dual core chips, with 4 or 8 GB local RAM and 200 GB
> local SATA disk drives, but main disk array will be RAID
> system attached via GBit LAN or, if possible, faster. The big question
will remain in
> how the nodes should be interconnected and what kind of OS
> will be able to handle a specific interconnect (HTX/Infiniband).
>
> In the case my questions are to unspecific or naiv, please excuse
that.

> Oliver

It would seem to me that such a project wouldn't be too hard, but it
would take time, equipment, and expertise.  If your center works with
several other like-thinking centers then you could probably pool some
combination of money, equipment and donated labor to such a project.  If
you had these resources lined up, my guess is that might get some
additional help from one or more of the technical mailing lists
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.htm
l#ERESOURCES-MAIL
For example, hackers, amd64, or ia64.

It would be really nice to have FreeBSD be the unquestioned leader in
high performance computing.

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.
714/532-6776