Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2013 18:57:00 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        Olav =?unknown-8bit?B?R3L4buVz?= Gjerde <olavgg@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsv3 vs nfsv4 ? advantages of moving to v4?

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 07:10:03PM +0200, Olav Grns Gjerde wrote:
> If you have three ZFS filesystems:
> tank
> tank/backup
> tank/home
>
> And if you export /tank with nfsv3, you don't really export /tank/backup
> and /tank/home.
> You only export the folders, but not it's content
> I think it has to do with that you cannot export mounted filesystems within
> one exported filesystem.
>
> With nfsv4 you will with only one export of /tank, export all three,
> including /tank/backup and /tank/home
>
> This was an issue 18 months ago, I cannot confirm if it's still an issue.

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding, but it sounds like what you want (for
NFSv3) is the -alldirs option, e.g.:

/tank -alldirs 10.0.0.20

Which would allow 10.0.0.20 to mount /tank, /tank/backup, /tank/home,
or whatever else under /tank, with NFSv3.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |