Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:46:45 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio breakage

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:
> I suspect that the problem is that the i386
>doesn't trap attempts to clear PSL_I if PSL_IOPL is set, so you can't
>guarantee that this will be detected cleanly.

If you aren't running at IOPL, CLI and STI will trap, but POPF
_ignores_ any attempt to change PSL_I.  This particular brokenness in
POPF (and the inability to make PUSHF trap) is all that prevents us
easily providing a virtual-386 environment (which means you could just
run buggy, half-baked file-loaders, rather than trying to emulate all
their undocumented interfaces).  [Actually, I gather that Pentium and
later chips _do_ have the microcode to allow virtual-386, but the
relevant incantations to use this is only available under NDA].

>> I don't believe this is reasonable.  We should provide some safe way
>> for an application program to execute code with interrupts disabled.
>> Amongst other applications, XFree86 needs this.
>
>It shouldn't (ideally).
I agree.  And whilst I haven't checked why, XFree86 does appear to
disable interrupts at times.

>  If it does, this is clearly indicative of a
>need to move some of the server code into the kernel,
You mean, like GGI <http://www.ggi-project.org/>; :-).

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au