Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:26:51 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        adrian@FreeBSD.ORG, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@sentex.net, andrewb@demon.net
Subject:   Re: Any action on PR 10570 ? getting closer to 65K :-(

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 04:28:55PM +0800, adrian@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
> I'll submit a followup to the pr, and a patch after I've verified it
> doesn't panic the system, but that will be sometime early next week
> (I can't setup a BGP connection to flood routes in and out before then..)

Uh, from reading the PR it looks like it can be triggered by creating
a little more than 2^16 routes to the same destination, and then
deleting some of them to fall back under 2^16. I'm going to give
it a try now and I'll send you the script if that works. I'm also
making a world with "short" changed to "int" to see if it works.

Wouldn't it be sensible to issue a warning (or panic) when increasing
the reference count reaches 0, rather than causing a later kernel
segfault? It would involve some overhead though, and I'm not sure
having 2^32 routes is currently realistic since most machines don't
even have that many bytes of RAM, but it might be true one day...
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr