Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 16:27:05 +0100
From:      adam@otterycomputers.com
To:        Patrick Hurrelmann <outi@outi.echsi.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID 5 Adapters and FreeBSD 5.2.1 (was: Intel chipsets and FreeBSD)

Hmm well the cheepest 3ware RAID 5 SATA card is about =A3240 which is lik=
e =A3100
more than my budget would strecth too, shame those 3ware cards look real =
nice.
Also I think they are 64bit pci, i only have 32bit pci :-(

Im guessing that mmy best bet then is to get some sort of supported SATA
controller and then to use Vinum on top to do the RAID stuff. Can anyone =
make a
well supported but under =A3140 recommendation.

Shame coz those promise ones look wicked and fit my budget.
Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to develop a driver for the =
promise
card, I have experience of C and C++ amongst others and am fairly knowled=
gable
about PC's and Hardware but have never had to look so low-level as writti=
ng a
driver.

Thanks Adam.