Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:54:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Stefan Moro <moro@medic.chalmers.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mysql40 and FBSD 4.9

Hi,

First of all I just want to say that I've never used mysql before so there
might not be any problem at all, except me not understanding how to do =)

I'm trying to setup mysql40. I installed it from the ports via the
mysql40-server port. The installation went just fine. Afetr the
installation I was trying to set the mysql root-users password with
mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

when i tried that I got the following message:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

The server should be up and running because the command mysqladmin version
gave the following output:

mysqladmin  Ver 8.40 Distrib 4.0.17, for portbld-freebsd4.9 on i386
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version          4.0.17
Protocol version        10
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket             /tmp/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 2 days 15 hours 4 min 30 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 8  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 6  Flush tables: 1  Open
tables: 0  Queries per second avg: 0.000

I have read the mysql-manual but have not found any solution for this
problem.

I have also googled for this problem but not found any solution..

uname -a output:

FreeBSD "hostname" 4.9-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #1: Thu Nov 20
13:48:26 GMT 2003
root@"hostname":/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERVERKERNEL  i386

Do I have to do anything before trying to set the root password or should
this work?

Does anyone know any good mysql tutorial which includes the installation
of the server?

Any help appreciated
			//Stefan M.