Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 00:24:13 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wes@softweyr.com, tedm@toybox.placo.com, ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Peter Wemm wrote:

> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > In message <3B4650D0.97F10B83@bellatlantic.net>, Sergey Babkin writes:
> >
> > >If the FreeBSD Foundation is an existing entity now, maybe we
> > >can just change the license for the CD images to "not for resale"
> > >unless the distributor signs an agreement with the Foundation ?

First, I want to say that after Jordan's explanation I agree
that this is not a worty idea, at least for now. So the
further is just for a more clear explanation.

> > Why on _earth_ would we make it so hard for people to get hold
> > of a media copy of FreeBSD, when absolutely nothing prevents

For example, to help fund the release engineering process.

> > me or anybody else from rolling a net distribution ?

If buying the rights to the "official" distribution is cheaper,
why would anyone want to redo it ?

> And if some organization is funding developers to work on FreeBSD full
> time, then I personally would go out of my way to help them too, should
> they need something.  (several spring to mind)
>
> All this hot air about "protecting" the .iso's is the *least* of our

It's not about protecting. It's about financiallly stimulating more
organizations to fund developers to work on FreeBSD. The ISO image
distribution rights don't have to be exchanged for money, they
may just as well (and better) be exchanged for such support.

-SB